Friday, November 10, 2006

Poetry by T.S. Eliot

I do not remember when I first read T.S. Eliot's final stanza of Four Quartets. Certainly it was prior to 1996, more than ten years ago. The poetry - written below - always makes my heart catch in my throat. At this moment, I wonder if there is someone out there who needs it to speak to their heart too.

Excerpt from Little Gidding (No. 4 of Four Quartets) from stanza IV
by T.S. Eliot

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, unremembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple tree
Not known, because not looked for
But heart, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always--
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flame are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I write from Omaha, at our daughter and son-in-law's house. Joy of joy. Peace at long last. I have just come from New Orleans. People have asked me who to blame for it not being fixed after a year. I SAW and realized that the devastation exceeded and exceeds all repair! And after New Orleans on to a wedding in Nebraska. And then all stopped. How much we fear the quiet but it is the only place (as Eliot says "between waves") that we can hear Him and come close to hearing our own voice. Then, after stopping, and breathing deeply, my daughter asked me to illustrate a children's story. And the art poured out of me. Sweet recollection of the "voice behind the waterfall." Indeed, your poem (it is surely not owned by Eliot), caught me off guard and spoke volumes in its few verses.

Thank you!!

angus

Maureen Morley said...

It does speak volumes. So glad it caught you!

Maureen

Anonymous said...

still here and still listening between the waves. May our great God grant you health and joy at Thanksgiving!

we all love y'all!!

angus

Amy C. Moreno said...

Maureen,
It's amazing. I love the last line.
It reminds me of some of Calvin Miller's writing. Have you read any of his work? "The Singer?"

Anonymous said...

simply :)

- Pat, your brother

Anonymous said...

Hi Maureen,

I was reading your blog today and really miss our study together.

You mean so much to me and I am so glad that I got a chance to meet you and Steve.

Thanks for taking the time to write a blog. Your entries are uplifting, courageous and really help me reflect on my own life too.

God bless,
Corinne

Anonymous said...

It's comforting to stop here from time to time and visit with Maureen. Thank you, Steve.